Gloucester Fisherman’s Cenotaph, Gloucester Harbor. Photo is mine.
Thanks for joining me!
This blog is an experiment in sharing several writing projects I’ve undertaken over the last 20 years. I plan to include summaries of the genealogies of my 4 grandparents, as well as selected essays and book/film reviews on matters of historical interest. Finally, I will share some essays written in an attempt to come to terms with some of the darker periods of my life, created as personal therapy.
Whether you like or agree with what I write I care not. Nevertheless, feel free to provide feedback on a piece if you like.
The family name Wainwright originated in the midlands of England and comes from the old English Waegnrig meaning “wagon maker”. An analysis of the demographic distribution of families bearing the Wainwright name from the 1851 British Census reveals a swath through the industrial heart of 19th century England beginning in Lancashire and Yorkshire to the north and extending southeast as far as Essex in East Anglia. Because so few individuals bearing the name immigrated to this country, the occurrence of the Wainwright name in the United States is rare.
How and when did our Wainwright progenitor first arrive on American shores? There are several possibilities. Peter Wainwright, who immigrated to Boston in the mid-18th century has been ruled out because he arrived too late. His descendants include General Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright, hero of Corregidor during World War II), Henry C. Wainwright, founder of the Wainwright Bank in Massachusetts, and Life Magazine photographer Loudon Wainwright, Jr..
He could have come
involuntarily. Indeed, the Colonies were used until the 1760s as a place of
exile for convicts. “Immigrants to America” mentions a Thomas Wainwright
who arrived in Connecticut on 10 July 1678 from Kings Cliff, Northamptonshire,
as an exile aboard a prison ship. He later appears in town records of Dedham
Massachusetts and can be ruled out as progenitor.
He could have come to New England as a British soldier. Newcastle, a small village located at the mouth of the Piscataway River just east of Portsmouth, was the location of Fort William and Mary, a British garrison that guarded the entrance to Portsmouth Harbor. Because of its strategic position as gateway to the New England frontier, this fort was heavily defended against possible attack by the French. Many British and Colonial soldiers were stationed there and on the opposite bank at Kittery Point in Maine throughout the eighteenth century. Because British military records of the period do not include records of enlisted men, Thomas’ presence cannot be proven, but the family’s 18th century connection to Portsmouth New Hampshire makes this a tantalizing possibility.
He could have migrated north from one of the Southern Colonies. There were many “Virginia men” in New England, mostly seamen who participated in the triangle of trade between the Colonies, the West Indies and Africa. My DNA exactly matches Wainwrights living in New Jersey, Virginia and North Carolina. An article from the Boston Observer dated 8 July 1898 about the visit to Gloucester of Lt. Commander (soon to be Rear Admiral) Richard M. Wainwright, Captain of the USS Gloucester that was cited for bravery in actions around Havana Cuba during the Spanish American War bears additional weight to this possibility. It was written.
“A singular coincidence has been developed in
connection with the gallant cruiser “Gloucester” and her equally
gallant Commander, Lieutenant-Commander [Richard M] Wainwright.
“It has been ascertained that the ancestors of the
Wainwright family came from England to Gloucester about one hundred and fifty
years ago and settled there. Their descendants in turn moved to other sections
of the country, one to the south, from which branch, Lieutenant-Commander
Wainwright is descended. The old Wainwright house here stands near the
Methodist Church in East Gloucester.
“The family in the male line is not represented
here but is collaterally in the female and their descendants. Isaac Stanwood,
the sail maker, is a third cousin of the Cruiser’s commander, his mother being
a Wainwright. Thus, the connection of the “Gloucester” and the
Wainwright family seems in the natural order of things.”
This story was also told to me by my father and is something of a family legend. Apparently, Rear Admiral Wainwright made time to visit our family when he visited Gloucester and confirmed the connection between our families.
Rear Admiral Richard M
Wainwright was the son of Lt. Col. Robert Dewar Wainwright of the US Marines
and the grandson of Richard Wainwright, a planter from Charleston, South
Carolina. The Wainwright plantation was in Summerville, a village just
outside Charleston that is part of Dorchester County, settled in part by
immigrants from Ipswich Massachusetts in 1696. South Carolina records
show that Richard and a brother Samuel originally come from the Somer Islands
I have successfully traced my Wainwright ancestry to one Thomas Wainwright of Portsmouth New Hampshire, who served in the Continental Militia of Rowley Massachusetts in 1780 and later settled in Gloucester Massachusetts. Ebenezer Pool, a 19th century merchant and amateur historian of Rockport Massachusetts wrote of Thomas that he was “a Virginian, a soldier and a tailor by occupation”. He was baptised on November 9, 1766 at the Queen’s Chapel in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, the child of Mary and Thomas Wainwright.
A Thomas Wainwright, who could be Thomas’ father or grandfather, was a resident of the South End of Portsmouth and appears on Poll Tax lists from 1764 to 1768, when the word “dead” is written across his name. There is, in the New Hampshire Provincial Court records, a judgment issued in 1764 against this Thomas on charges that he defaulted on a bill for thirty-two days’ lodging for him and his wife, Elizabeth in November 1763.
A Hannah Wainwright is mentioned in the Rowley Selectmen’s records in 1761 “from the state of New Hampshire”, and in Gloucester Selectmen’s Records of August 1790 “from Portsmouth”. As an aunt of Thomas Wainwright her presence in Gloucester in August 1790 would be explained by her nephew’s wedding. The reason for Hannah’s presence in Rowley in 1761 is not clear, but Thomas’ later Militia service in that town must be considered an extraordinary coincidence. She died a pauper in Stratford New Hampshire sometime after 1790.
Thomas’ mother Mary married Thomas Thomas in 1771, but there is no record of their presence in New Hampshire after that year. Despite the unusual name, we find one Thomas Thomas living in Gloucester and another living in Newburyport Massachusetts in the 1790 US Census. The Newburyport Thomas Thomas was involved in the purchase of large tracts of land in Rockingham County in 1779.
In March of 1780, Thomas
enlisted in the Rowley, Massachusetts Militia. This was a difficult time
for the New England colonies. The Revolutionary War had moved to the southern
states, and the new country was on the verge of bankruptcy. To make matters
worse, there was a dire shortage of able-bodied men to serve in the military.
Congress set up a quota for conscripts from every community, and all-over New
England, there were bounties offered for young men to enlist. Many enlistees
were not from the towns for which they served. Young Thomas enlisted in
Col. Abner Dawes Company, 4th Massachusetts Regiment “for three years or
until the end of the war.” The muster rolls show that he served for only
three months. He received promissory notes from the Town for a total of $163.00
which he later presented for payment. Today, his name is on the Rowley Roll of
Honor, those Revolutionary War Patriots who served the Town in the War for
Thomas Wainwright married Lydia Lurvey of New Gloucester, Maine in Gloucester, Massachusetts in April 1790. He was, however, not considered a resident of the Town. In August of that year, the Gloucester Selectmen issued a warrant naming “Thomas Wainwright of Rowley, his wife and family” as non-residents and warning them out of town. Also mentioned in the warrant is Hannah Wainwright, from Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Regardless of the warrant, the couple remained in Gloucester and had 7 children there:
Nancy Wainwright born about 1792. She married, first Daniel Dunnaway 25 January 1810 and had 2 children: Rebecca Wainwright and George Wainwright. She married, second, ___ Geering (or Gerring). Nancy died 22 December 1870.
Thomas Wainwright born about 1794. He married Harriet Hale October 1814 and had 7 children: Harriet, Sally Hale, Elizabeth Hale, Adelia, Thomas, Martha Letitia, and Emma. Thomas settled in the Fifth Parish at Sandy Bay (now Rockport.) He was one of those called to muster on 8 September 1814, when the British Man-of War Nymph entered Pigeon Cove to shell the village. A Cargo Lighter (unloader) by trade, Thomas speculated in real estate in 1816. During the Panic of 1837 he was sued for default of several loans. Harriett Hale came from an old New England family that had originally settled in Charlestown Massachusetts. Her Great-Great Grandfather, Reverend John Hale, was the first Minister of the First Parish Church in Beverly from 1667 to 1700. She was a second cousin of the great author and Unitarian Minister Edward Everett Hale, and a distant in-law cousin of the Honorable Edward Everett, Governor of Massachusetts and brilliant abolitionist orator. Her brother, George Dennison Hale, served as the Collector of Customs for the district of Gloucester. Thomas died 20 November 1844.
Daniel Wainwright born before October 1798. No further record.
Lydia Wainwright born 4 July 1800. She married John Butterfield Ferrier 20 May 1824 in Boston and had 6 children: Charles Thomas, John W, William Anthony, Mary Frances, Elizabeth, and George N. Lydia died 19 May 1881 in Boston. The whole family is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Everett.
James Wainwright born after 1801. No further record.
Lucy Wainwright born 16 May 1812. She married, first, John Marks 29 September 1829 and had 4 children: John, Lucy Wainwright, Henry, and Lydia. Lucy married, second, Barnet Sargent Knowlton 19 December 1846. She died 2 July 1848.
Between 1798 and 1801, Thomas
Wainwright does not appear in public records. He may have signed on to a US
Warship for service against the French in the West Indies. Between 50 and
60 men from the Cape signed onto converted warships in response to an appeal
issued in the Columbian Centennial by the US Government. Most sailed aboard the
USS Herald, a 20-gun Sloop of War
that was decommissioned and sold out of service in 1801.
In his will dated 3 August 1801,
Major John Rowe, a cousin of Thomas’ daughter-in-law Mary Rowe, included as an
asset a promissory note signed by Thomas on 22 April 1801 in the amount of
$7.14. Since there is no further mention of this note in the Essex County
Probate records, we don’t know if it was ever repaid.
Thomas disappears again from public records after the birth of his daughter Lucy in 1812. Ebenezer Pool writes that he personally saw Thomas on Flag Day, 17 June 1811, and that he probably died soon afterward in 1811 or 1812. He may have been lost at sea, or he may have died from disease.
It is apparent that Thomas’ children had no better idea of his origins. The death record of daughter Lydia Wainwright Ferrier indicates her family believed that Thomas’ was born in England. Thomas’ son George reported to the 1880 Census taker that his father had been born in New Hampshire. Ebenezer Pool, in his extensive 19th century genealogical collection of Rockport residents, wrote that Thomas was a Virginian.
After Thomas’ death, Lydia married, second, Benjamin Soper Marshall 5 April 1815. Curiously, Benjamin’s name is also on the warrant issued in August 1790 warning the Wainwright wedding party out of town.
George Wainwright was born in June 1799 in Gloucester. He chose the fisherman’s life in
East Gloucester, where the American fishing industry began. They employed small boats with no decking-
rowboats, really- built in the shipyards of Chebacco (now the Town of Essex). They
were owned and crewed by eight men who fished them in the Grand Banks around
Newfoundland. The crew spent months at
sea, seeking Halibut, Cod, and Mackerel using hand lines. Once caught, the fish
were gutted, split, and stowed in salt until they could be landed back in
Gloucester or another suitable staging area along the coast. It was an
incredibly hard and dangerous life, the stuff of epic romance and tragic
outcomes. One of the best descriptions of the Gloucester Fishermen of the 1800s
can be found in Rudyard Kipling’s classic novel, “Captain’s
George married Mary Rowe 7
November 1820 and had five children in Gloucester:
Mary Wainwright born 22 June 1821. She married Daniel Smith 3 February 1839 and
had 4 children: Daniel, Mary K, Julia
Franklin, and Daniel Franklin. Mary died
3 May 1906.
Rhoda Wainwright born 12 January 1824. She married Thomas Harvey 7 September 1841
and had 6 children: Thomas, George
William, Rhoda Eldora, William, George Wainwright. And Angus Edward. George Wainwright Harvey became a celebrated
seascape painter in Gloucester and his wife, Martha Hale Harvey, became independently
famous as a photographer. Rhoda died 13
George Wainwright born 9 March 1826, died 1
Lydia Wainwright born 19 December 1828, died 1
George Wainwright born 25 June 1835, lost at sea
aboard the schooner William S. Wonson
February 1860. His name is enshrined on
the Gloucester Fishermen’s Memorial Cenotaph at Gloucester Harbor.
Mary represented the seventh
generation of one of the largest and oldest in Cape Ann, starting with the
arrival of John Row in 1651. Her mother,
Polly Knutsford, was the daughter of Steven Knutsford, an interesting and
enigmatic character of the Revolutionary War.
According to local tradition, Steven was a Lieutenant in the British
Army under General Burgoyne during the disastrous Battle of Saratoga. As part of the terms of their surrender, the
British were permitted to evacuate their soldiers from Albany by boat down the
Hudson river, through Long Island Sound, and home to England. During this transit the troop ship passed
close by Andrews Point on Cape Ann and Steven either fell or jumped overboard,
washing up on the Ipswich shore. When he
awoke on the beach, he reportedly cast his first gaze on future wife Mary
Andrews, who was walking the beach alone.
After the war, Knutsford served as the first Schoolmaster of Rockport. He was
concerned enough about his desertion that he obtained a Seaman’s Protection
Certificate from U.S. authorities to prevent being arrested by the British
William Henry Wainwright was born 14 February 1844. He spent some
of his life as a fisherman, and the remainder as a general laborer. He married
Helena Louisa Fowler of Boston and had 4 children in Gloucester:
Charles M. Wainwright born 12 November 1872. An apothecary for many years, He was said to be a bit eccentric, preferring to stay in his room most of the time. When he died, he left his nephew Charles Everett his stamp collection. Charles died 21 August 1935.
Mary Louisa Wainwright born 14 July 1874. She married Leslie Pryor Goucher 23 May 1898 and had one daughter, Helen Belle. Mary and Leslie were divorced. Mary died after 1940.
William Everett Wainwright.
Susie Alice Wainwright born 10 March 1887. She married Horatio Wagner 7 December 1907 and had one son, Arthur. Susie died 13 November 1943.
Helena Louisa Fowler was born in Boston, the daughter of Edward L Foley, a sailor from Nova Scotia and Helena Lander of Boston, Massachusetts. Edward appears to have returned to Halifax after the birth of Helena’s brother Morris Fowler in 1853. Helena’s mother changed her name to Fowler, and moved to Gloucester where, in 1858 married Samuel Mess, a fisherman from Baltimore Maryland.
William Henry died 15 June1900 at the Danvers Hospital for the Insane from Cerebral Softening, a contemporary term for stroke. He was buried in the infamous anonymous cemetery outside the walls of the asylum, but years later his son had his body removed to the family cemetery in East Gloucester.
William Everett Wainwright was born 8 July 1883. He spent his early years in Gloucester
working for a codfish salting company. He married Charlottie Gisborough
Schwartz from Lunenburg Nova Scotia 3 May 1908 and had 4 children:
Alice Harriet Louisa Wainwright born 9 January
1909. She married Cyrus N Blades of
Clarke’s Harbor Nova Scotia and had 3 children:
Dorothy Ellen, Robert Cyrus, and Beverly. Harriet died 10 June 2001 in Exeter New
Mildred Elizabeth Wainwright born 23 April 1911,
died 1918 in Boston.
Doris May Wainwright born 11 March 1925. She married William Hoy 1 July 1945 in Boston
and had 2 children: Patricia and Kathleen.
Doris died 21 February 1999 in Burlington.
Everett and Lottie remained in
Gloucester for a time, but Everett found work at the newly built Boston
Elevated Railway as a streetcar conductor. He moved to West Eagle Street in
East Boston near the Lexington Street Car barns. Here they lived until about
1925 when, according to family tradition, the trolley he was riding in was
rammed by a fire engine. His injuries were so severe that he could no longer
perform his duties as a conductor. For a
time, he worked switching trolleys in front of his house, but when his
condition deteriorated further, Everett was taken to the Long Island Hospital
for the Terminally Ill, where he died on 9 October1926. Throughout this ordeal,
his family was forced to live on the donations of fellow transit workers. Lottie
lived as a widow for many years and died on 7 October 1957 in Billerica.
Wainwright was born 12 November 1913 in Boston. His physical
appearance was forever changed at the age of three, when he fell from his
parents’ third-floor tenement window and shattered his skull. Doctors
placed a silver plate into his forehead to replace the smashed bone. With
the death of his father, young Charles became the breadwinner of the family. At
the age of thirteen, Charlie quit school and took a job as a water boy at the
Hotel Bradford in Boston. Every evening he took the ferry from East Boston to
Rowe’s Wharf, then walked to his job. Young Charles began associating with
three of his older cousins, Ralph, Lester, and Raymond Brown, who had a dance
band. By the time he was 18 the band was playing at a well-known speakeasy on
Dover Street in Boston. He later played with Edgar Rogers, whose wife Dot was an
aunt of Anna M Dame, who had recently returned
from an extended stay in Norway with her mother and brother. Charles and Anna
eloped on 4 February 1938 to Hampton Falls New Hampshire and had 4 children:
Deanna Hope Wainwright born 25 July 1938 in
Boston. She married Martin Francis Catyb
of Revere on 26 February 1955 in Seabrook New Hampshire and had 4
children: Martin Francis, Cheryl Ann,
Lawrence Michael, and Susan Deanna.
Deanna died 4 August 2009 in Revere.
Elain Hedwig Wainwright. Private
Linda Carole Wainwright. Private
Everett Wainwright, Jr.
When war broke out in 1941,
Charlie registered for the Military Service. Because of his age, and the silver
plate in his forehead, he was turned down for all active service. In 1943 he
managed to enlist in the newly formed Massachusetts State Guard as a member of
the marching band. In 1946, when the State Guard was merged with the
Massachusetts Air National Guard, he entered active reserve service as a member of the 567th Band; part of the 102nd Tactical
Fighter Wing stationed at Logan Airport in East Boston. He remained with the
Air Guard for the next 30 years, retiring with the rank of Senior Master
Sergeant; the first in the Wing to attain that newly formed rank.
Charles Everett Wainwright died
1 Sept 1985 and is buried with his wife Anna at the Forestdale Cemetery in
Malden. Engraved on his headstone, below his name is a musical “G”
Clef, a symbol of the music that was so important to his life.
Research in Norway
is both difficult and fascinating because of the patronymic naming system, combined
with the way the Norwegian geographic unit known as the Farm factored into family
names. People living in the farms of
Norway before 1900 named their children using the patronymic system.
Under this convention, Johannes, son of John would be known as Johannes
Johnsen, while Johanne, daughter of John would be known as Johanne Johansdatter.
For legal purposes, the farm name would be appended to the name using a comma
(Johannes Johnsen, Osmo.)
The Hemnes District in northern Norway was sparsely
populated, and this caused problems when it came to find a mate. A young
man who came of age would have to row across the Fjord to another farm in
search of a wife. Once married, the couple would need to decide where to
spend their lives. If they were lucky, they were able to stay on one
of their family’s’ farms. If the wife came with a dowry, they could
purchase land in the area and start a new farm or sub-farm. Otherwise, they would be forced to seek their
fortune in an urban area like Trondheim.
The Osmo surname comes from the Osmo Farm
located in the Hemnes district 25 kilometers south of Mo i Rana and
about 525 kilometers north of Trondheim. The farm is mentioned
in Church records as early as 1745 as:
“25 mål [1 mål = ¼ acre] arable land, poor water, sandy soil, 25 mål ofmeadow, plus a little low lying bog and a field that is assumed to produce 98 locks of hay annually. Insufficient harbor access. Insufficient in forest. Farm is somewhat uncomfortably close to the sea.”
farm (in the foreground of the photo at right) is located on a
peninsula jutting into a spectacular fjord at the Village of
Hemnesberget (on the far shore in the photo). It was first separated from
the Hestnesosen Farm in 1742 by Elias
Pedersøn, born 1714 on the Mellingsjorden Farm upon his marriage to Maren
Jonsdatter, born 1713 on Valåmoen farm in the Korgen district. They had 4
children on Osmo Farm:
Peder Eliassen born 1745, died 12 January 1765.
Johannes Eliassen born 1747, married Malene
Kierstina Larsdatter 1803 and had 4 children at Samuelmoen Farm: Maren Katarina, Johanna, Elias, and
Peder. Johannes died 13 June 1814.
Jon Eliassen born 1750, died 12 January
born in 1753, carried on the farm after the death of his mother in 1789. He
married Elen Maria Jonsdatter 1777 from Srausmnes Farm and had 8 children
born at the Osmo Farm:
Maren Johanna Eliasdatter born 1778. No further record.
Johann Rasmus Eliassen born 1779, died 13 March 1780.
Jon Eliassen born 1780, died in 1803.
Peder Eliassen born 14 March 1784. He married Anne Pernilla Jensdatter 26 December 1815 in Nesna, Nordland, Norway, and had 5 children: Karen Marie, Maren Johanna, Ingebor Anna, Peder Andreus, and Elen Anna. Peder died 10 January 1864 in Nesna, Nordland Norway.
Ranni Helene Eliasdatter born 1787, died 1788.
Elias Eliassen born 1789. He married Randi Helena Pedersdatter and had 1 daughter: Pernille Marie.
Ole Adrien Eliasen.
Johann Rasmus Eliassen born 1797. He married Bent Helena Fordelsdatter 14 July 1829 in Nesna, Nordland Norway.
Elias Eliassen’s wife
Elen Maria Jonsdatter was the daughter of John Olsen of Straumsness farm
and Randi Helene Andersdatter of
Bryggfjell farm, both in the Hemnes district. Randi Helene’s mother Elen Nilsdatter , known in Norwegian
folklore as Skipper Eli, enjoyed one
of the most colorful reputations in the Hemnes/Korgen region.
Born in 1705 at Bryggfjell farm in Korgen District, she married Anders Jorgensen, a ship captain
(“Skipper” in Norwegian) in 1730. In 1743 Anders bought 2 cargo
ships in partnership with Anders Larsen of Mula farm (Great-Grandfather of
Hedevig Pedersdatter) and obtained a license from the Crown to trade fish
from far northern Lapland for general goods from Bergen to the south.
Being centrally located, the Bryggfjell farm formed a natural way station for
the trade. Anders captained a boat south to Bergen while his wife Eli
captained the other north to Lapland.
Skipper Eli was an astute merchant and never missed an
opportunity to make a profit. Because her farm was so far from the
village of Hemnesberget where she attended Church, she maintained a small house
near the church where she could rest after her journey. Realizing that
other Parishioners had long distances to travel as well, she stood outside
the church selling refreshments. She often wore bright colored, beautiful
clothing obtained through her husband’s trade and available for purchase.
Because of her activities, Skipper Eli was habitually late
for Church services. One Sunday the Priest of the Church, on observing
another late entrance by Eli, stopped the service and publicly chastised her by
singing the third verse of an obscure Danish hymn. The words criticized
her disrespect for God and the Church. To the surprise of the whole
congregation, Eli responded to the Priest by singing back the ninth verse of
the same hymn, whose words defended her way of life. This episode is
recounted by parishioners at the Hemnesberget Village Church to this day.
Skipper Eli was reputed to be a witch, one of two
living in the District at that time. It was said that she could
throw a fishing line from the top floor window of her Bryggfjell farm house and
catch fish even though the house was located far from the sea. Some
Church parishioners associated witchcraft with her reluctance to come to Church
on time. Although the other witch, Mastermo Tobba was burned on the
island of Bardolsoen, Skipper Eli died a natural, if premature death.
This may be because her husband was the local Sheriff.
Skipper Eli was stingy in the extreme and amassed a great
deal of wealth during her life. When she died in 1757 her property,
inventoried on 37 pages, was valued at over 1606 Daler- a princely sum.
Being miserly in life, she was said to be unwilling to part with her goods
after her death: Her spirit could often
be heard rummaging through the attic of the farm house. After her
husband’s death, her things were sold but her spirit continued to haunt her
things in their new home. One family who had purchased her Akje (a Lapp
sledge) had to call a Spiritualist to get rid of Skipper Eli’s presence in
Anders and Skipper Eli had six children, including their
oldest Randi Helene Andersdatter. When Skipper Eli died, her husband
married Berit Olsdatter, the sister of Randi’s husband. When Anders died
in 1794, the estate was inventoried again, and this time amounted to only 271
Daler, showing which spouse was better at handling finances.
Ole Adrien Elissen,
born 7 September 1794, took over the management of the Osmo farm after his
mother’s death and purchased it from the Crown in 1841 as part of a nationwide
Norwegian Land Reform program. He married Inger Hansdatter from Buvik
Farm In 1827 and had one child at Osmo Farm:
John Olsen was
born 22 July 1828 at Osmo Farm. He
obtained ownership of the farm from his Father’s estate only after he
proved that he was the only legal male heir. He married Hedwig
Pedersdatter from Brennesvik farm in 1859 and had 10 children at Osmo Farm:
Elen Maria Jonsdatter born 1 June 1856. She married Ole Andreus Pedersen 9 January
1878 in Hemnes and had 3 children:
Hilmar, Peder, and Elen. Elen
died 30 March 1899.
Peder Lorentz Johnsen born 24 October
1860. He married Julianne Nilsdatter in
1894 and had 10 children: Emma Nilane, John
Hilmar, Petter, Torval August, Egil Passake, Harold Nikoli, Oskar Trygve, Unik
Martin, Alfred Ole, and Torvald Osmo.
Peder died 16 January 1933 at Osmo Farm.
Inger Emilie Johnsdatter born 1 October
1862. No further record.
Idde Margretha Johnsdatter born 6 May
1865. She married Karl Axel Andersen and
had 9 children: Aste, Henning, Lilly Elfrida,
Kaia Pauline, Hanna Nikoline, Axel, Gudrun Ildride, Karl Magnus, and Klare
Nikolai Myhre Johnsen born 24 November 1866.
He married Ellen Pedersdatter 29 December 1890 in Hemnes and had 2
children: Elizabeth Katrina, and Dina.
Jens Groenback Johnsen born 1 December 1869. He married Johanne Susanna Sommer and had 6
children: Hjordis, Aslaug Jenssen, Solveig
Carlssen, Haakon, Trygve, and Sverre. Jens
died after 1 December 1959 when a photograph was taken of him and his family.
Else Helena Johnsdatter born 8 December 1874,
died 9 December 1960 in Hemnes.
Benjamen Tonder Johnsen born 31 March
1877. No further record.
Lorentz Kristoffer Johnsen born 7 April
1879. He died 1903.
Johnsen was born 6 May 1872 at Osmo Farm.
He married Elen Anna Olsen from Aandalsnes on 23 January 1895 in Molde.
They had seven children born at Osmo Farm:
Margrethe Bjerring Osmo.
Johan Nikolai Femmer Osmo born 1 December
1896. He married Ingeborg Voldstad 18
August 1944 in Trondheim and had one son, John Audun Femmer. Johan died 11 May 1973 in Trondheim.
Sofie Osmo born between 1897 and 1899. Died about April 1899.
Asstri Osmo born 10 March 1900. She married Arnt Selsbakk and had one
son: Jorgen. She died 9 August 1995 in Bergen.
Dagny Osmo born 15 March 1901. She married Jacob Langset and had 1 son,
Rolf. She died in 1935 in Trondheim.
Johanne (Jenny) Osmo born 3 August 1902 in
Trondheim. She married Engel Garvik and
had 1 son, Ehring. She died in 1981 in
Lilly Osmo born 10 July 1903, died 4 June 1920
In 1896, Johannes Johnsen, his wife and family left the Osmo
farm to set up a bakery in Trondheim, leaving his brother Peder to run the
farm. The bakery was for a time quite successful but in 1905 it went
bankrupt. Johannes, using his son Johan Femmer as a straw, purchased
the farm from his creditors in 1906.
It was about this time that Johannes came to be involved
with a young woman, Henriette Johnsen who worked for him at the bakery.
She bore him an illegitimate son:
Henning Johnsen Fagge born 15 November 1905 in
Oslo. He married Aagot Skillingsas about 1934 in Trondheim and had 3
children: Hans, Sidel, and Jorgen. Henning died 12 November 1946 in Trondheim.
In 1907 Johannes left
Norway for America, followed shortly afterwards by Henriette, leaving Henning
to live with Henriette’s mother. Johannes’ wife Elen returned with her
children to the Aandal farm in Romsdal.
Known initially in America as John Johnsen, Johannes at
first found work in Swedish bakeries in Cambridge. In 1914, he
established his own bakery under the name of John Osmo at 119 Green Street in
the Jamaica Plain section of Boston. He wrote his wife to send some of
his children to America to help him, and on 12 October 1914 Hedwig, and Johanne,
arrived at Ellis Island.
Hedwig married William Dame in 1918 in Boston. Johanne
(Jenny) eventually returned to Norway, married and lived her remaining years
near Bergen Norway.
Johannes’ relationship with Henriette Johnsen did not
last. The couple may have lived together for a time in Cambridge.
Henriette returned to Norway in 1909 and returned in 1910. In 1914, the
Boston City Directory indicates that she moved to Brookline
Massachusetts. In 1926 Johannes closed his bakery and returned to
Norway. There he repurchased the Osmo Farm from his son, built a new
house on the property and lived there until he sold the farm in 1939. He
died in Hemnesberget in 1958.
In 1917 Henriette married Lewis Carl Hornow of Boston, a
worker at the Green Street Bakery. She maintained contact with her
son for a time, and returned to Norway in 1920 to attend his
Confirmation. Henning Johnsen changed his name to Fagge in 1941. He
married, had three children and died in 1947. His mother Henriette died
in 1948. Members of the Dame family in
Boston remember her as Aunt Gertrude.
Elen Anna Olsen, wife of Johannes
Kornelius Johnsen, was born in 1870, the daughter of Johan Nikolai Femmer
Olsen, a ship Captain from Kristiansand, Vest Agder Norway, and Elen Sofie
Aandal from the Aandal farm in Romsdal. We know little of Johan, except
for the name of his ship, the White. The 1875
Norwegian Census indicates that Johan was away at that time as Captain of this
Of the Aandal Farm, we have much information. It is
located in a remote mountainous region of More og Romsdal called
Raumadal. Situated at the head of a Fjord, it enjoyed deep water access
and became a preferred location for the distribution of local farm goods in the
18th century. In the mid-19th century, the region was noticed by the
English gentry, and soon tourist boats were arriving to marvel at the
spectacular views and healthful air. The Aandal farm was joined in 1824
with the Naess Farm with the marriage of Søren Jorgensen, Aandal and Elen Anna
Fredricksdatter, Næss. It was not long before Tourist Hotels were built
on the grounds and a thriving tourist trade was underway. Today,
Aandalsnes is a center for Norwegian Tourism as well as some light
industry. Odd Meringdal and Andrew Russell Aandal published a
comprehensive genealogical record of the Aandal and Næss farms and sponsored a
family reunion there in 1992. Many in our family attended this reunion and had
a great time.
What part Elen Anna played in Johannes’ life after he went
to America is something of a mystery. She is listed in the Trondheim City
Directory for 1910, 1916 and 1931 as a widow, suggesting that their separation
was not amicable. Nevertheless, when requested to send two of her
children to America to live with him, she willingly complied. While she
was in Norway, her granddaughter Anna Margrethe Dame became very close to her,
and the two communicated often after Anna returned to the US. After
Johannes went to America, Elen and her children remained in Trondheim.
She died in 1944.
There is a recurring middle name in our family, that of
Femmer. The family in Norway has portraits of a couple named von
Femmer from the early 18th century. Family tradition holds
that this Royal couple fled Germany for religious reasons and settled,
penniless in Norway. Records show that there were individuals with the
Femmer name in the area of Christiansand as early as 1680. and in the 18th
century in Romsdal and Nordland Counties. Femmer Osmo, brother of Hedwig,
researched the Femmer line that is documented here. The Femmer name
connects through the Aandal family tree, passing through several female
ancestors before it appears in the Osmo line. One gets the feeling that our
family were proud of this family connection.
Hedwig Margarethe Bjerring
Osmo was born at Osmo farm on 17 July 1895.
She married William Michael Dame on 1 October 1918 in Boston and had 3 children
Anna Margrethe Dame born 9 May 1919, married
Charles Everett Wainwright 4 February 1938 in Hampton Falls New Hampshire and
had 4 children: Deanna Hope, Elaine
Hedwig, Linda Carole, and Charles Everett.
She died 9 August 1993.
Rev. John William Dame born 28 February
1922. He married Rev. Cora Elsie Banks 3
February 1946 in Boston and had 4 children:
Christian William, Rev. Karen Elsie, Rev. Calvin Oren, and Rev. Johanne.
John died 6 December 1981 in Keene New Hampshire.
Roy Christian Femmer Dame born 19 March
1923. He married Bjorg Michaelssen 1945
in Oslo Norway and had 3 children: Tone
Margrethe, Roy Femmer, and Robert Emil.
Roy died 10 October 1994 in Bangor, Maine.
Hedwig was named for her great-great grandmother, who died
in 1843 and for her grandmother (Bedstamor in Norwegian.) In 1914 her
father in Boston wrote to her mother in Trondheim asking for Hedvig to
accompany her sister Johanne to America.
They arrived at Ellis Island in October 1914. She lived for a time
next door to her father’s bakery. Soon after the birth of Anna, Hedwig travelled
briefly to Norway, returning in 1921. In
1927 she returned to Norway, this time with all the children, sending the two
youngest home to Boston. She and Roy remained
in occupied Norway, finally returning to Boston in 1946. After the war
she travelled to Norway regularly aboard her father’s favorite steamer, the SSStavangerfjord, reputed to be the oldest transatlantic
steamship in regular service.
In 1935, William Dame brought divorce proceedings against
his wife for desertion. The case was a bitter one, and because she was
not in America, it was fought by proxy. When their daughter Anna returned
to America in 1936, she was forced to testify against her mother in
Court. The divorce was not granted, but the parties reached an alimony
settlement and lived separate lives until death reunited them in a common
burial plot at Woodlawn Cemetery in Everett Massachusetts.
Michael Damm, our immigrant ancestor, was the third of five children of Johannes Philippus and Rebecka Damm in Darmstadt Germany. Michael and three of his siblings immigrated to Derbyshire England about 1850. All eventually immigrated to the U.S:
William Damm was born about 1817. He married Susanna Bill in 1844 and had one child, Frederick, in England before immigrating to America before 1848 where his son Jacob was born. They lived for a time in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) New York, and then moved to Boston. William is recorded as a musician, and blind in the 1880 U.S. Census.
John Damm was born about 1830. He and wife Elizabeth had two children in Germany between 1861 and 1863: Katharina, and William. He and his family immigrated to America sometime before 1880, when they were counted in the U.S. Census living in Boston. The family afterwards disappears from records.
Henry E. Damm was born about 1832. He and his wife Rachel had 10 children in Germany before immigrating to America from England, where they were counted in the 1870 U.S. Census in Boston: Jacob, Martha, Rachel, Minnie, Sarah, Rosa, Markus, Rebecka, and Daisy. Note that this family chose to retain the Damm surname in America.
Elizabeth Damm was born about 1837 and immigrated to America at the same time as her brother Michael. She married Frederick Shultz on 21 July 1859 and had 5 children: William, Elizabeth, John, Henry, and Augusta, before moving to Chicago, Illinois about 1870: where the couple had an additional 3 children: Eleanor, Emma, and Caroline.
The circumstances surrounding the immigration of the Damm
family are extraordinary for several reasons. It was very rare for German
immigrant family in the mid-19th century to have lived in
England. William, Michael, Christopher
Noll, and Michael’s son Henry all listed their occupations at various times as
musicians. Michael and his son Henry are listed in a passenger manifest
of the Steamer Rhein in 1870. The rooming house in which
they lived on North Street was occupied primarily by musicians. Even though this family in America was poor,
they traveled often to Germany. Michael
even died there in 1877. Perhaps
William, Michael and Henry were employed as musicians on the local
transatlantic Steamer service between Hamburg and Boston.
Michael Damm was born 3 February 1831 in Darmstadt, Hesse Germany. He married, first, Maria Katarina Noll on 6 January 1852 in Derbyshire England where he lived for the next 5 years. immigrated to America with the family of Christopher Noll, his wife’s brother, who also lived in Derbyshire. Christopher had married Barbara Damm or Dame, probably a cousin of Michael, in England. Almost as soon as he arrived in America, Michael abandoned his German surname for the more American sounding name of Dame. He and Maria Katarina had 3 children as follows:
Henry Dame was born about August 1851 in Derbyshire England. Henry was a musician aboard a transatlantic steamer. He died unmarried in Boston on 11 November 1875.
Mary Katarina Dame was born 9 November 1852 in Derbyshire England. She appears in the 1860 US Census and the 1865 Massachusetts State Census living with her father. There are several records of her arrival and departure on steamships between the U.S. and Europe between 1871 and 1882. She had not married by 1882 and disappears from records after that.
Christopher Dame was born 1 May 1858 in Boston, Massachusetts.
Maria Katarina Damm died, apparently in childbirth, in
May 1858. Michael married, second,
Margaret Kiel (or Kahl), daughter of Daniel Kiel, a German immigrant on 15
February 1859. They had 6 children as
Caroline Dame, twin, was born 15 April 1860 in
Boston. She married Charles Andersen, a
Swedish seaman, on 17 December 1882 in Boston and had two children: Edward and Susan Christine. Caroline died in Boston on 25 June 1895 and
Charles married, second, Caroline’s sister Mary Dame on 16 October 1896.
Christiana Dame, twin, was born 15 April 1860 in
Boston. She married Peter Larsen
Walgreen, Ship’s Rigger, on 31 January 1880 in Boston and had 2 children who
lived to majority: Chester Arthur and Christopher
Charles. Christiana and Peter were divorced,
and she married, second, Frederick C.H. Muller on 17 June 1899 in Boston. They had one child, Christiana
Fredericka. Christiana died on 14
December 1901 in childbirth.
William Dame was born about 1861 in Boston and
apparently died young. He appears only
in the 1865 Massachusetts Census and nowhere else.
Henry Dame was born 21 February 1865 in
Boston. He married Karolina Buhl on 27
December 1885 in Boston and had 2 children:
Clara Marie and Louisa Augusta.
Carolina, widow of Henry, is listed in the Everett, Massachusetts City
Directory of 1940 living at 191 Ferry Street.
Mary Dame was born about October 1874 in
Germany. She married Charles Anderson,
widower of her sister Caroline Dame on 16 October 1896 in Boston and had 4
children: Elizabeth, Charles, Lillian,
and Martin Frederick. Mary died 1
November 1905 in Boston.
Elizabeth Dame was born about November 1875 in
England. She married Francis C. Grove on
13 May 1896 in Boston, and had 2 children:
Lillian F and Frances S.
Elizabeth married, second, George Irving Grant on 27 June 1908 and had 2
children: Emily Virginia, and Irving
B. She died in 1930 in Boston.
Michael Damm died on 12 January 1877 in Hess Germany
during a trip to his homeland. His widow
Margaret continued to live in the North End of Boston until her death on 20 May
1892 at aged 50. Curiously, Boston vital
records reveal three additional births by Margaret after Michael’s death:
Peter Dame, born 22 February 1880 in
Boston. He married Eva Grace Parker on
15 December 1902 in Rutland, Massachusetts and had 3 children: Raymond Peter, Walter Howard, and Reginald
Charles. Peter died 9 June 1963 in
Margaret E Dame, born 14 February 1883 in
Boston, died 22 July 1883 in Boston. No
father is listed in the record of death or birth.
Ella Dame, born 16 March 1885 in Boston, died of
Smallpox 29 May 1888 in Boston. This
girl is referenced by Lillian Dame Welch in her genealogical notes as “a 3-year-old
Christopher Dame was born on or about 1 May 1858 in Boston, first child of Michael to be born in America. On 25 September 1881 he married Anna Eva Schmidt, a recent immigrant from Germany. According to several of her children, and data recorded in the U.S. Census, she was forced to immigrate because of the ravages of the Franco-Prussian War, during which she found herself living as a Protestant refugee in France. Christopher, Eva, and their growing family appear in the US Census and City directories in Boston regularly though the turn of the century. They had eight children, four of whom lived to maturity:
John William Frederick Dame was born 4 March 1882 in Boston. He married Bertha Laforet of Waltham and had 2 children: Dorothy Alice and Lillian Anna. John died of Nephritis and Urimea on 4 January 1914 in Boston. From photographs taken around the time of his death, it appears John may have succumbed to complications related to an infection he developed in one leg that turned gangrenous. Bertha, the daughter of immigrants from the Alsace region of France, outlived her husband as a member of the Dame family until 1963.
Carrie Dame was born 13 June 1884 and died 16 January 1888 in Boston.
Henry John Dame was born 12 August 1886 and died 14 March 1895 in Boston.
Emily Augusta “Gerty” Dame was born on 17 January 1889 in Boston. She had one child, Dorothy who was raised by her mother. She married Joseph Archelaus Haskins of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on 7 July 1911 and had 2 children: James Arthur and Eva M. She died of tuberculosis on 17 September 1914 in Boston.
William Michael Dame.
Emma Louisa Dame was born on 25 April 1894 in Boston. She married John James Nuskey on 8 June 1914 in Boston. Nuskey, a childhood friend of John William, was caretaker of Greater Brewster Island and drowned while fishing off the island on 9 September 1940. He was the subject of a story “The King of Calf Island” written by Edward Rowe Snow in which the author implied that Nuskey’s drowning was orchestrated by his wife, who unsuccessfully pursued damages against Snow. Emma died in March 1985.
Dorothy Dame (adopted) was born 11 March 1906 in
Boston, to Eva’s daughter Emily. She
married Edgar V. Rogers of Boston in 1929 in Boston and had 9 children: Edgar, George, Robert J, John, James, Dorothy,
Richard Joseph, Ernest, and Regina. She
died 12 January 1986 in Everett.
Christopher Dame died of tuberculosis on 1 March 1907 in
Boston. Anna Eva died on 10 December 1936 in Boston.
William Michael Dame was born 6 July 1891 in Boston. He married Hedwig Margarethe Bjerring Osmo, an immigrant from Norway, on 1 October 1918 and had three children;
Anna Margrethe was born 9 May 1919 in Boston. She married Charles Everett Wainwright on 4 February in Hampton Falls New Hampshire and had 4 children: Deanna Hope, Elaine Hedwig, Linda Carole, and Charles Everett. She died on 9 August 1993 in Malden Massachusetts.
Rev. John William Dame was born 28 February 1922 in Boston. He married Rev. Cora Elsie Banks on 3 February 1946 in Berlin New Hampshire and had 4 children: Christian William, Rev. Karen Elsie, Rev. Calvin Oren, and Rev. Johanne Hedwig. John died from Arterial Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) on 6 December 1981 in Keene New Hampshire. Elsie died 6 January 2013 in Portland Maine.
Roy Christian Femmer Dame was born 19 March 1923 in Boston. He spent his childhood in Norway, and married Bjorg Michaelsen in 1945 before returning to the United States. They had three children: Tone Margareth, Roy Femmer, and Robert Emil. Roy died on 10 October 1994 in Bangor Maine. Bjorg died 17 January 2015 in Exeter New Hampshire.
In 1926, Hedwig returned to her native Norway with her children in 1927. John returned alone to America about 1931, and Anna returned to the US in 1936. Hedwig and Roy remained in Norway until the conclusion of the war in 1945. From Boston, William initiated divorce proceedings against his wife, and they remained estranged for the remainder of their lives. William died 15 December 1965 in Boston and Hedwig died 7 February 1985 in Stoneham Massachusetts. While the marriage did not last, their relationship did, and they are buried together at Woodlawn Cemetery in Everett Massachusetts.
Through the teens, twenties and thirties, the Dame family
enjoyed summers on Greater Brewster Island. The Caretaker of the
island, John James “Peg-leg” Nuskey, husband of William’s sister Emma, provided
the lodging. Many of the photos from that period on the island show
that it was a time of great joy.
Shortly after the British took control of the maritime region of North America, known by the French as Acadia, they expelled the original settlers. Initial attempts to resettle the Colony with loyal Englishmen failed. Lord Cornwallis, first Royal Governor of the new English colony of Nova Scotia contracted with Johann Dick of Rotterdam to recruit German peasants from the Rhineland area of Germany, home of the English King. The peasant farmers of this region lived under great hardship in feudal conditions and their prospects there were limited. As an enticement to settle in the new colony of Nova Scotia, they were offered at least fifty acres of land, arms, protection from the hostile native population, and provisions enough to get them through their first year. Ultimately, about 1600 men, women, and children immigrated from Rotterdam to Nova Scotia between 1752 and 1756.
So it was that on 26 September 1752 Johann Georg Schwarz, a farmer from the Duchy of Franconia, arrived in Halifax aboard the ship “Sally.” Of the 258 people who left Rotterdam aboard her, only 218 survived the trip. Johann joined other German Protestants in clearing land until a place could be found to settle them. On 28 May 1753, the immigrants embarked from Halifax for a bay located about fifty miles south of Halifax named Merleguish by the indigenous people, thenceforth known as Lunenburg.
Life in the new colony was brutal in the first years. The indigenous tribes allied with the French, and attacked the settlers at every opportunity. The Germans received Insufficient supplies from the Colonial Government, and great poverty reigned. Gradually, though, the township of Lunenburg grew to become a viable, though insulated community. They were so isolated, in fact, that as recently as the 1940s German was the predominant language of Lunenburg County.
Johann Georg Schwarz married, Magdelena ___ sometime before
their departure from Germany. They had 4
children born in Lunenburg:
Maria Magdelena Schwartz was baptized 2 March
1755. No further record.
Anna Elizabeth Schwartz was baptized 28 August
1757. She married Johannes Philip
Andrews 28 November 1773 and had 7 children:
Jacob, Mary Catherine, Mary Elizabeth, Philip, Mary Margaret, George, and
Magdalena. She died 17 November
Jacob Schwartz was baptized 12 May 1759. No further record.
Johann Georg Schwarz died sometime before 1763. His wife Magdalena
died 29 March 1773.
Schwartz was baptized on 5 April 1754 at Lunenburg and died on 27
January 1816 in Lunenburg. Mather Byles DesBrisay, in his “History of
Lunenburg County”, recounts that Leonard and his wife Magdalene were
the first to sound the alarm during a raid by American rebels on 1 July 1782. He married Magdalene Kneller on 28 May 1776
in Lunenburg and had 10 children born in Lunenburg:
Martin Schwartz was baptized December 1777 and
died in 1799.
Anna Catherine Schwartz was born 17 February
1779. No further record.
Elizabeth Schwartz was born 14 March 1782. She married Joseph Bailly 20 February 1806
and had 9 children: Elizabeth, Mary,
Joseph, John, George, Bathsheba, Henry, Rosina, and Benjamin. She died 2 February 1882.
George Schwartz was born 28 January 1784. No further record.
John Christopher Schwartz was born 15 December
1787. He married Catherine Barbara Knoch
26 May 1812 and had 2 children: Francis
and Archibald. He died 28 September
Matthew Schwartz was born 15 January 1788 and
died 21 January 1801.
Catherine Schwartz was born 22 February
1799. She married Christopher Schneare.
Sophia Philippena Schwartz was born 17 November
1794. She married Fred Knickle 5 January
Leonard Schwartz was born 30 March 1797. No further record.
Caspar Schwartz was born 4 August 1792 in Lunenburg. He had married Anna Maria Spindler before 1817 and had 7 children born in Lunenburg:
George Francis Schwartz.
Caspar Schwartz born 12 October 1819. He married Sarah West on 26 January 1845 and had 11 children: Sarah Amelia, James Albert, Mary Elizabeth, Leander, John G, Ann Eliza, Charles William, Helen Maude, Arthur Sarah Susannah Elizabeth, and Bessie. Caspar died about 1892.
Sarah Ann Schwartz born 6 March 1825. She married James Holland 5 November 1848 and had 1 child: Bessie. Sarah died 7 December 1917.
Francis Schwartz born 25 April 1827, and died 1844.
James Schwartz born 2 November 1829. He married Lucy Charlotte Morash and had 1 child: James Eldin. James died 12 December 1883.
Joshua Schwartz born 14 April 1832. No further record.
Charles Henry Schwartz born about 1834. He married Louisa Ann Leary and had 8 children: John H, Charles Edward, Joseph Lemuel, Sandy, Robert James, Clara L, and Arthur William. Charles died 6 May 1909.
Caspar died 11 October 1865.
His wife Ann Maria died 5 May 1880.
George Francis Schwartz was born 27 July 1817 in Lunenburg. He married Sophia Walter about 1844 and had 7 children born in Lunenburg:
Emeline Amalie Schwartz born 14 August
1844. She married William Arenberg and
had 3 children born in Lunenburg:
William, Fannie, and John T. She
died 2 March 1929.
John De’Andre Schwartz, twin, born 7 April 1846
and died before 1871.
Mary Susan Schwartz, twin, born 7 April
1846. She married James Demone 10
December 1872 and had 6 children born in Lunenburg: Susanna Minnie, Alden, Rodger, Ethel, Aubrey,
and Harris James.
George F Schwartz baptized 29 May 1849. He married Minnie Mathilda Arenberg 22
January 1885 and had 2 children born in Lunenburg: Bertram George and Harry Douglas Leon. Geroge died 4 August 1916.
Jennet Schwartz born 5 August 1853. She married Frederick Knickle 3 May 1879 and had 2 children: John Robert and Flora Delvrie. Jennet died 6 September 1933.
Mary Alice Schwartz born 6 March 1861. She married Obadiah Parker Silver 9 December
1884 and had 1 child: Reginald. Mary died 12 January 1921.
James Joshua Schwartz, born 14 April 1852 in Lunenburg , is the first member of the Schwartz family about whom I have encountered family memories through my father and aunts. He at various times identified himself as a farmer, a fisherman, and a sea captain. His marriage to Elizabeth Stawell of Mineville, (north of Halifax) on 20 May 1876 is unusual, not only because of their different ethnic backgrounds (she was Irish Protestant), but also because of the distance between the residences of the two families. The couple had 4 children born in Lunenburg before Elizabeth died, probably in childbirth:
Alice May Schwartz born 19 June 1878. She married William A Brown on 20 July 1895
in Gloucester Massachusetts and had 9 children:
Lottie Belle, Marion Louisa, William Kenneth, Raymond, Ralph, Alice,
Ruth Harrington, Evelyn, and Arthur.
Alice died July 1977 in Bangor Maine.
Bernard Schwartz born about 1883. He married, first, Bessie Elizabeth Brown on
19 March 1906 and had 2 children before they were divorced: George and Elwood Alexander Charles Ueniac. He married, second, Lila Barkhouse on 25
March 1901. Bernard died 2 March 1970.
James Joshua Schwartz born 16 May 1884. He married, first, Lelia Lobelia Dorey 9 June
1903 and had one child before the couple divorced: Clarence Henry. He married, second, Ada Cordelia Greek 4 January 1912 and had one
child: Donald James Joshua. James died 24 June 1955.
James Joshua married, second, Eliza (Kline) (McLachlan) “Dolly” Hall May 1844 as her third
marriage. They and had 2 children born
Annie Laurine Schwartz born 10 August 1888. She married Harris James Demone 11 December
1916. She died 19 January 1919.
George Lambert Schwartz born 20 May 1890, died
30 January 1919.
Dolly died 9 April 1934 and is buried with her two youngest
children. Joshua died 11 March 1939 and
is buried alone on a hillside in Lunenburg, without a headstone.
“Lottie” Schwartz was born 11 February 1880 in Lunenburg. Before immigrating to Boston, She had a
relationship with Augustus Nickerson and had one child:
Gladys Schwartz born 1 Aril 1899 in Boston. Though she was born Gladys Schwartz she took
the name of her father and lived with him as a teen. She married Kenneth McKean in 1925 in
Boston. She died 11 July 1982 in Quincy
Everett Wainwright 3 May 1908 in Boston and had 4 children born in Boston:
Alice Harriet Louisa Wainwright born 9 January
1909 in Gloucester Massachusetts. She
married Cyrus N Blades 16 August 1931 and had 3 children: Dorothy Ellen, Robert Cyrus, and Beverly. Alice died 10 June 2001 in Saugus
Mildred Elizabeth Wainwright born 23 April 1911
in Boston, died 1918 in Boston.
Doris Mary Wainwright born 11 March 1925 in
Boston. She married William Hoy 1 July
1945 and had 2 children: Patricia and
Kathleen. Doris died 23 February 1999 in
Everett Wainwright died 9 October 1926 in Boston from the
complications of a streetcar accident.
Lottie Schwartz died 7 October 1957 in Billerica Massachusetts.